If a box junction is to be enforced then it should comply with the Traffic Signs Regulations and General Directions 2002 (usually abbreviated to TSRGD). However, if the Local Authority can demonstrate good reason why it is impossible to comply fully with TSRGD, and justify the need for the box junction, then the Secretary of State for Transport can, in exceptional circumstances, specifically authorise the use of a non compliant junction.
If there was a handful of such authorised junctions in the London area then you might believe the above statement, but just look at the list that has been authorised since enforcement began, particularly in 2006. It looks like Transport for London order authorisations by the container load and the Department for Transport (DfT) just rubber stamp them.
It would appear that TSRGD compliant box junctions are becoming the exception rather than the rule. The cynics amongst us might even suspect the DfT is being complicit in allowing Local Authorities to tax farm junctions that present drivers with difficulties.
Judge for yourself; the list is as follows:
1. Junction of Park Village East/Prince Albert Road/Parkway, LB Camden (13th Feb)
2. Vauxhall Cross Interchange, Lambeth, TfL (18th March)
1. High Holborn/Proctor Street, LB Camden (1st Feb)
2. St Giles High Street/Shaftesbury Avenue,
Southampton Row/Theobalds Road,
Kentish Town Road/The Castle, LB Camden (13th April)
3. Kentish Town Road/Fortress Road/Highgate Road, LB Camden (20th Dec)
1. Stockwell Rd/Stockwell Park Walk, Marylebone Rd/Harley Street, Finchley Rd/Frognal Crt, Park Rd/Outer Circle, Seven Sisters Rd/St Thomas Rd, Finchley Rd/ Cannon Hill, Chelsea Embankment/Royal Hospital Rd, Battersea Rise/Bolingbroke Grove, Battersea Park Rd/Queenstown Rd, City Rd/Central St, Baker St/Marylebone Rd, TfL (19th Jun)
2. City Rd/Central St, Marylebone Rd/Harley St, Marylebone Rd/Seymour Rd, Lavender Hill/Elspeth Rd, Seven Sisters Rd/St Thomas Rd, Chelsea Embankment/Royal Hospital Rd, Finchley Rd/Frognal Crt, Battersea Park Rd/Queenstown Rd, Stockwell Rd/Stockwell Pk Wlk, Cromwell Rd/Earls Court Rd, East India Dock Rd/Upper North Rd, Upper Thames St/Arhur St/Swan Lane, Streatham High Rd/Pendennis Rd/Bechmead Ave, Wyndham Rd/Camberwell New Rd, Vauxhall Bridge Rd/Rampayne St, Eastern Avenue/Havering Rd/North Street, North Circular (Bowes Rd)/Brownlow Rd, Priory Rd/Christchurch Rd, Foxley Rd/Bolton Cres/Camberwell New Rd, City Rd/Provost Str, Finchley Rd/Boundary Rd, Baker, TfL (4th Oct)
3. Lea Bridge/Hoe St, Lea Bridge/Church Rd, Forest Rd/Hoe Street, Hoe St/Station Approach, Hoe St/Selborne Rd, Hoe St/Church Hill, St James’s St/Leucha Rd, High Rd/Bush Rd, High Rd Leytonstone/Church La, Billet Roundabout/Chingford Exit, Lea Bridge Rd/Argall Rd, High Rd/Gainsborough Rd, LB Waltham Forest (18th Oct)
4. A12 North Street, TfL (8th Nov)
5. Larkshall Rd/Hale End Rd, LB Waltham Forest (22nd Nov)
So, does the law need to be changed? No. Local Authorities need to work within the law, same as us motorists are expected to do.