Sending in the Heavies

“Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent.” (Isaac Asimov, Foundation)

I received this cry for help from Louise a few days ago. I thought it warranted a post of its own as it is not a totally uncommon situation:

“I just received a bill of £1060.14 from collection services used by Ealing for stopping in a box junction on 29.01.07 and 06.02.07. I never received any notices to this day but this bill. A warrant of execution has been issued and they now have power to collect the money. On the letter my name is incorrect. I don’t know how to start. I need help I know I should write letters but stating what?

All help most welcome.”

Two PCNs issued at that time would have racked up a total of £310 – £150 each plus a £5 debt registration fee. So where does the other £750.14 come from? This is clearly outrageous.

This situation is slightly outside my personal area of experience and expertise, but as I understand it the correct thing to do is to file a late Statutory Declaration which will force the bailiffs to back off while things get sorted out. You can download the form and a helpful guide from this page on the HM Court Service website.

Alternatively you can get some quality help from the Bailiff Advice Online website set up by a campaigning colleague of mine, Sheila Harding. What Sheila doesn’t know on the subject of bailiffs isn’t worth knowing.

There are contact details on the site but if you want instant help for only £1 per minute then phone 0906 550 0145 between 8:30 am and 7:00 pm.


2 Responses to Sending in the Heavies

  1. Nilesh babariya says:

    hello ,
    I would like to ask you something that on boxing day TFL people have towed my car and i have paid 260 GBP on that day which cause a lots of trouble , I am planning to apply for appeal so please guide me asap and TFL issue a penaly for yellow box junction as well for just 4 sec and but i am student i can not pay this much penalty cause i am not earning that much please help me to find out way for appeal so i can come out of this easily ..

  2. You need to file a out of time statutory declaration. This will suspend all bailiff action.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: